Saturday, February 11, 2012

A moment of magic.

Today Sam nursed!

Sam doesn't nurse.  There were complications when he was born that required bottle feeding.  Then when his doctor gave us the go a head to nurse Sam wanted NOTHING to do with it.  I still made a valiant effort and many, many tears were shed by us both.  When we finally threw in the towel I grieved.  I was pretty devastated but I decided that if I couldn't nurse then I would exclusively pump for him.  It is a sacrifice but he is oh so worth it.  My goal is to pump for him for at least 3 months.  With older children the logistics are very difficult when I have to be so many places so I think 3 months is a reasonable goal.  

Today I traveled to my Grandma's house for a baby shower for my cute cousin.  I knew I would be gone many hours so I brought my pump.  When it came time to feed Sam I realized that I was missing key parts to my pump.  I had left them home.  I panicked and thought I would have to go to the store in search of parts.  I knew Sam could take formula but my biggest problem was I was in pain!  I was not going to make it till we got home.  Suddenly a light bulb went off in my head.  I realized that although he HATED it, he could nurse.  So I went to my grandma's room and we fought for a good 45 minutes.  He screamed like I have never heard him scream before or since.  In the end he did get fed and I got relief.  Somewhere in the middle of the fight he settled down and calmly nursed for a minute.  He looked up at me sweetly as if to say... "This moment is a gift for you Mom." 
It was a moment of magic for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment