Monday, February 21, 2011

Enchanted Forest

A week or so ago I posted a picture of an abstract painting of Ella's and mentioned that she wants to be an artist like her grandpa. Back in the 1970's my dad painted a few oil paintings... I have only ever seen 3 though.  As of a few months ago I had only ever seen 2 of his paintings... one of deer in a forest that my brother Andy has and one of a pirate ship.  They are both done in a more realistic style and they are beautiful.  For as long as I can remember I have wanted the painting of the pirate ship.  My grandma had it hanging in her house and I always hoped it would be mine one day.  Well, my sister Bek totally stole it!!!  Ok, not really but lets pretend she did.  Somehow she ended up with it after my parents helped my grandma de-clutter and clean her house.  I was valiantly trying to guilt trip her into giving it to me when she pointed to another painting resting against the wall and said; "That one is for you."

It was love at first sight.

I had never seen it before and I was so excited!!!  I am sure I loved it for mostly sentimental reasons, the main one being that my Dad painted it.  He painted it in 1975 and it definitely has that 70's feeling.  It is less "realistic" and more illustrative than his other paintings.  It is also very ethereal, which I love... it reminds me of the imagery used in Disney's "Sleeping Beauty".  

I have it hanging in my guest bedroom and if we ever get another baby I have thought it would be fun to decorate the nursery around this painting. 
I wish my Dad would paint again.  He is a little busy though I guess. 
One of my kids favorite things is to sit on his lap and have him draw animals for them... this was also one of my favorite things as a kid.

Wow this was a very wordy post for this blog... sorry.



4 comments:

  1. WOW that picture is AMAZING! I am always so jealous of artists. You are very lucky to get that one. And that would make such a cool nursery. PS Last night was so fun!!! I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those paintings are beautiful, lucky you. Don't you know if you want something from grandma's you just go in and take it. That is how I ended up with my rocking chair....just ask my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do we need permission to use this for a promotional video if so can we and is there any details we need to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What specifically would you be using from this post? What is the promotional video for?

      Delete